The best way to know what’s going on in our chapter is to read our newsletter, Sand Castle Legends. It’s published monthly from September through May and includes chapter contact information; details about upcoming meetings; member news; critique group information; market reports for both book and magazine markets and feature articles.
The newsletter is sent free via email to all SCBWI members in San Diego and Imperial County. Please make sure your email address is current on your member page.
Have Something to Share?
All articles are written by volunteers and member contributions to Sand Castle Legends are encouraged. Articles about writing, illustrating, the industry, useful websites, lessons learned, in short whatever you think would benefit other chapter members would be appreciated.
Do You Have a Book or Article Coming Out? Share the good news with chapter members! Let us know about signings, appearances, publicity, and other pertinent news. We all enjoy hearing good news and supporting other members.
To submit an article, illustration or member news, please email your illustration as a JPEG. Articles should be less than 400 words and submitted as text within the body of an email to Cindy Jenson-Elliott at email@example.com. Monthly deadlines are the 15th of each month, August – April, for the following month's edition.
The fine print regarding newsletter submission
- We give writer/illustrator credit to all articles and illustrations used.
- Articles should not exceed 400 words.
– There is no guarantee if or when a specific contribution will be published. Placement is subject to the editor’s approval and scheduling.
– We do hold material in reserve to be used as needed. Member news is typically printed in the next edition available.
– Monthly deadlines are the 15th of each month, August – April, for the following month's edition.
– Sand Castle Legends is sent to SCBWI Regional Advisors around the world four times a year – which can be great publicity for you.
- Other SCBWI chapters (ours included) will sometimes pull articles of interest from other Chapter newsletters and reprint them with appropriate attribution. If you do not want your contribution to be published outside our newsletter, please let Patricia Morris Buckley (our editor) know and we will include a notice to that effect. If you do not tell us, we will assume your submission is available for reprinting by other chapters – actually a great way to let people around the world see your work.
If you want to know when your submission will be used, email Patricia. She’ll be happy to give you advance notice of publication once your piece is scheduled.